K-12 Education Solutions
Our Education team offers consulting services and solutions to help schools, K-12 school districts, and state education agencies promote student success, improve programs and processes, and utilize data findings to improve student outcomes. Helping significantly under-performing schools better engage and prepare students for college or globally competitive career options takes a comprehensive approach. SilkWeb can help. Our school improvement consulting focuses on leadership, effective instruction, climate and culture, data use, and curriculum and assessment alignment, and leverages online tools to provide resources, support, and professional development. We offer strategic consulting expertise to support school districts and state education agencies to operate effective and efficient learning systems.
Our work includes:
- Organizational Reviews
- Strategic Planning
- Program Audits
- Implementation Support
- Communication Strategy
- Data Analysis
- Program Design
SilkWeb Consulting and Development is delighted to announce our new partnership with the San Antonio Independent School District and McAllen Independent School District in the beautiful state of Texas. As an awarded vendor for the design and implementation of Professional Development and Materials, we are honored to assist Texas educators in developing the essential knowledge and tools needed to support the complex skills students need to excel in the 21st century.
K-12 Education Philosophy
Our student-centered learning approach includes the following philosophies:
- Powerful instruction empowers young learners.
- Curiosity is the spark that should drive instruction.
- Diversity and cultural inclusion helps develop good global citizens.
We approach projects by collaborating with clients as action partners, working together to identify challenges and develop solutions that fit the context and needs of their unique education communities. Our dedicated team includes special education consultants, administrators, and former teachers, all of which can provide valuable strategic guidance to help you achieve better results for your students with disabilities. We’ll work with you to determine the right support for your needs.
- Comprehensive special education reviews, including actionable recommendations for programmatic improvement and compliance management.
- Inclusive practices and coaching.
- Alignment of IEPs and instruction to state standards.
- Leadership capacity in support frameworks (Universal Design for Learning, Multi-Tiered System of Supports).
Implementing a Multi-Tiered System of Support
Implementing a Multi-Tiered System of Support in K-12 is a commitment to addressing student behavior through systems change. The graphic below illustrates the relationship between the systems, data, and practices and how it relates directly to student outcomes. We call this Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports.
When schools implement Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports, they:
- Regularly check the effectiveness of their practices
- Pull from a continuum of evidence-based interventions to support student needs
- Develop content expertise through coaching and on-going professional development
- Rely on teams to guide implementation
- Use data to monitor student progress
- Implement universal screening practices
- Include community members and families to create culturally relevant practices
Three Tiers of Support
There are three tiers in the Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports which we can assist in implementing in schools. Each tier aligns to the type of support students need and is not a label for students but rather refers to the level of support the institution provides to the student. The three tiers of support are Universal Prevention, Targeted Prevention, and Intensive Individualized Prevention.
Tier 1 systems include:
- An established leadership team
- Regular meetings
- A commitment statement for establishing a positive school-wide social culture
- On-going use of data for decision making
- Professional development plans
- Personnel evaluation plan
Tier 1 practices include:
- School-wide positive expectations and behaviors are taught
- Established classroom expectations aligned with school-wide expectations
- A continuum of procedures for encouraging expected behavior
- A continuum of procedures for discouraging problem behavior
- Procedures for encouraging school-family partnership
Tier 2 systems include:
- An intervention team with a coordinator
- Behavioral expertise
- Fidelity and outcome data are collected
- A screening process to identify students needing Tier 2 support
- Access to training and technical assistance
Tier 2 practices include:
- Increased instruction and practice with self-regulation and social skills
- Increased adult supervision
- Increased opportunities for positive reinforcement
- Increased pre-corrections
- Increased focus on the possible function of problem behaviors
- Increased access to academic supports
Intensive Individualized Prevention
Note: Tier 3 strategies work for students with developmental disabilities, autism, emotional and behavioral disorders, and students with no diagnostic label at all.
Tier 3 systems include:
- A multi-disciplinary team
- Behavior support expertise
- Formal fidelity and outcome data are collected
Tier 3 practices include:
- Function-based assessments
- Wraparound supports
- Cultural and contextual fit
Closing the achievement gap is one of the great challenges facing school systems today. Through curriculum development, onsite or online staff training, technology tools, and student enrichment or parental support programs, SilkWeb can help you boost student achievement.
K-12 Past Performance
The following case studies further exemplify our experience and qualifications bringing the highest quality curriculum and content to the table.
Case Study 1 – Georgia Public Schools Content Development
SilkWeb served as the sub-contractor on this project. Our client was contracted to develop approximately 150 web-based lessons in humanities, science, math, and social studies. SilkWeb was charged with all content and instructional design development, including sourcing materials, mapping, course design, storyboard development, and editing. We also wrote scripts for the narrator and identified and contracted all SME resources. SilkWeb developed interactive learning activities and lessons using Storyline. This K-12 project was high-paced with an aggressive schedule. All writing needed to be completed within 90 days. SilkWeb outperformed expectations, delivering defect-free content, finishing two weeks early.
instructional design and development, content writing, materials sourcing, mapping, course design, storyboard development, Articulate 360 (Storyline), scriptwriting, and editing.
- Instructional Designers
- Education Content Developers
- Subject Matter Experts
- Storyline Developers
Case Study 2 - STEM Course Redesign and Development for Moodle Rooms
SilkWeb was contracted to work with faculty in the customization of Moodle Rooms and the redesign and development of existing STEM courses and content writing and development of interactive learning objects. In this capacity, SilkWeb’s IDs analyzed and critiqued the existing courses. Next, course maps were developed, mapped, and gaps filled using learning objects that were also developed. OER was leveraged when available. The course maps and storyboards were exchanged with faculty for review and updates before they were handed to the editor for content and copy editing. Once edited, the courses were developed in Moodle. The IDs worked with faculty to polish the courses prior to deployment.
During this engagement, topics and goals for learning objects were handed over to content writers who put together storyboards complete with narration scripts and graphics. The storyboards went through an extensive editing cycle before being reviewed and approved by the faculty. SilkWeb used these storyboards to develop interactive learning objects using Storyline.
project management, instructional design, course design and development, content writing, editing, testing, Storyline development
- Instructional Designers
- Storyline Developers
- Voice Artists
Ready to find out more?
Is your K-12 institution ready to get started? Contact one of our education consultants to schedule a free one-hour consultation. We would love to partner with you!